Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Choose your weapon


All is quiet on the homefront, meaning the baby is asleep, so it's time for our first installment of *duh duh dum*

CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON

Today on choose your weapon,  our weapon of choice is this


My mission: To get as much done with those tools in 20 minutes as possible. 

The starting point? The bathroom.  The loose toilet seat, to be precise.  You're welcome for the lack of picture.  And, yes, this was a fail, so all I did was learn I needed different tools.  But the gaining of knowlege can be it's own kind of success.  Anyway, I thought I was going to tighten the screws on the toilet seat, and after some confusion (why does it keep turning and turning? Where's the other end of this screw?) I learned that the plastic... wingbolt!..... is cracked so that's that.  The other side lacks a wingbolt altogether.  So we'll keep on slip sliding around on that joy ride!  Hunter, I see you shaking your head.  Thanks for loving me even though I can be a bit slow sometimes.... It's ok!  I'm a limo driver!

The clock is still ticking!  I moved on to Archer's bedroom.  Last week, when I would ease the door shut, it would shift at a certain point, and make a loud thud, juuuuust as I was sneaking out quietly after putting him down at night or naptime.  Any mother knows that's a recipe for disaster, so I made a note to fix that loose hinge right away.  So this afternoon I eased open the door, tools in hand, and tested the door.  Nothing.  I tested all the screws.  Nothing loose.   ............?............  I eased the door closed.  Guess that one fixed itself.  *scratches head, shrugs, moves on*

The guest room doorknob is our next test subject.  This has had a loud, grating SQUEAK in it since forever, maybe since we moved in 7 years ago.  This room has been the main guest room for years, and I bet my in-laws will be happy to have this handle fixed.  I know it has made them cringe as they get up in the middle of the night and try their best to be quiet little bunnies.  I unscrewed the doorknob, went and retrieved my special can of WD-40 that I try to keep in my own cubby in the laundry room (it has been borrowed by Hunter a couple of times, but to his credit has remained in the house instead of landing in the barn) and squirted up the inside of the doorknob.

Simple.  Done.  Gave 'er some twists and screwed it back together.  And, when I was almost done, the timer went off.  By now my brain was jumping ahead to what else I'd like to accomplish so I put my tools away and called it good. 

All in all, I'm calling it a success.  That squeaky door has driven me nuts, too, since it's right by Archer's room and holds his room's heater controls. 

I believe in doing this kind of stuff myself, if I can.  Yes, I could nag Hunter on evenings and weekends to do it.  He HATES projects like this, but he'll do them on the right day.   But they're easy enough, so on the other hand, if they're so easy, why don't I do it?  Good question.  20 minutes at a time, I bet I can. 

1 comment: